Friday, June 17, 2005

What I've Learned

I didn't know what to expect when I started this.

In truth, I wanted to get some attention to what I thought was getting disrespect from my bosses, and your bosses. It seemed Portland media was stuck. TV news was going nowhere fast. Radio was becoming insignificant. Newspapers lost the ability to be relevant.

I wanted to pay tribute to the many people who work very hard at their craft, working for people who had a jaundiced eye for viewers and listeners and readers.

We had to tell the truth - that most of us don't have the guts to fight that attitude. I knew that, anonymously, most of us would enjoy a forum to say what we can't say at our desks.

We got and are getting lots of attention. We know that reporters and photographers, producers and anchors, PR people and bloggers check in every day to see what we all say.

Mostly it's been good. Sometimes, people check in and drop crap. But that's good too. We all need to learn, even if its egotistical and mundane.

In six weeks we've talked about lots of things and we'll keep going. I thought I was going to be outed in the first couple of days, but luckily no one still knows my name, even though most of you have guessed in what line of work I toil.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Where do we go from here? What do you want?

The one thing I'd love to know is if you think this is making a difference. In my shop, I know the bosses got nervous - even hinted to some that they wanted to cut off Internet access in the room. Can we make things better?

I know that at least at KOIN, things are changing. I know it's not because of us, but because they got rid of people who did not care about things Portland. But did we open some avenues to talk?

Happy Fathers Day to all you dads. Let's hope we get summer before school starts again.

See you Monday.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have done a good thing here. In the spirit of being positive, here are some good things about Portland's media:

-Mike Donahue's class
-The writing of the O's Joseph Rose, Boaz and Canzano
-Kyle Iboshi's digging ability at KGW (reporters hate going head-to-head with him)
-The WW's news with "an edge."
-The TV news photogs who take pride in solid shots, clean nat sound and storytelling.

Have a nice weekend.

Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WW "News With a Grudge"

Saturday, June 18, 2005 2:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A clean, thought-provoking forum. Things will get better-- there are too many professionals who care about what they do to let the alligators in the front office get them down.

This is a great news town. There are many stories to be told, and well told at that.

Thanks for caring enough to create a place for accolades and criticism to dwell in harmony.

Saturday, June 18, 2005 4:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoever you are that runs this site, you seem very intelligient and up to date about what's going on, and how those that use media that aren't in it think of what they're seeing and hearing. I hope you're able to get out whatever the big thing is that you really want to say before being found out - and, if you're well-known, I'm sure those that really care will think even more of you, rather than less, for this site. Hope you're having and/or had a good weekend.

Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Alan DeWitt said...

I know my comments about media in general on this site have been harsh, but I want you to know that I appreciate this site very much.

I also know that most of my complaints reflect structural problems rather than problems of execution, and that solutions to them are beyond the power of most of the news professionals who read this. Please don't take my criticisms personally. I'm being harsh only because I think what you do is important. I dearly want to help the media improve, and the only way I can find to do that is to give my opinion to you straight and unvarnished.

I hope it helps.

Saturday, June 18, 2005 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our best revenge against managers who have sold out to the consultants and their pablum is not to ream them here (though that can be justified - and fun).

I'd suggest we all try to follow this motto in spite of them:

"Dare To Commit Random Acts of JOURNALISM!"

Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Discussing where blogs and media overlap has been going on for awhile and still isn't settled. Editor & Publiaher has an interesting column with a minority view arguing newspapers can survive after blogs, (like radio survived TV). Some pull quotes from the column others might enjoy reading:

The Internet Trap
Newspapers are out of their element on the Web, argues the award-winning author: "That is neither what they do best nor where they ought to be." Instead they should re-invest in newsrooms and show their face in the community.
By Michael Bugeja
(May 22, 2005) --
...
"My goal here is not to expose the blogger but to engage newspaper publishers--to wake them up--so that they understand the medium of the Internet, in which they have so heavily invested at the expense of reporters in hometowns.
...
"Newspaper readership is declining. Of course it is. There is a cumulative consequence for basing decisions on profit rather than on community. We're charging our newer readers to announce births, engagements and weddings, and our loyal ones for obituaries. Do you not think these misguided changes in content--which used to bring entire families into newspaper buildings--might have played a role in loss of readership?

"When you are out of your element, you're also out of touch."
- - -

Bugeja makes a strong argument which, I think, he misdirects. It is that newspapers are 'spatial,' by which he means they are of and for a place -- in short: all politics and all newspapers is local. Therefore, Bugeja argues, newspapers have an interdependent local readership in their 'space' which the international internet can not threaten.

I think the consideration of newspapers as spatial media gains more insight when contrasted with 'temporal' broadcat media, (rather than newspapers in contrast with the internet). And according to one view, radio broadcasting (and later, TV broadcasting) do not qualify for constitutional Freedom of the Press rights. Because broadcasting is not the Press. Temporal is not spatial. (And de facto, others seem to sense this, too, since speech and pictures restraints limit broadcasting which do not limit the freedom of newspapers or the Press.)

Sunday, June 19, 2005 10:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like blogs. I like reading things by paid journalists. This isn't really a blog.

Monday, June 20, 2005 2:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work here is very, very good, and I will continue to check in every day. Your important role here is to hold their feet to the fire, demand coverage of important issues, reveal it when they have squashed a story forprofit or power, lead this community by pointing out the values we all know to be important which are ignored by the media managers.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 5:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're a fan of LOST, check out lost tv watch episode

Monday, October 24, 2005 8:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home