Friday, July 15, 2005

Speaking of Columnists

About a month ago I read the excellent (can't believe I'm writing this) Portland Confidential by Phil Stanford. (Here's a free plug to help you sell copies).

Since it's clear he's got free reign at the Trib (or no one wants to hear his rants by editing him), he's been writing about those old glory days in some of his columns (and to sell some of his books). At least he's not boring is with more Francke stories. Can you imagine if FOX12 News was on the air then, reporting on what he's telling us?

Seriously, along with Jewell Lansing's great book on Portland, you should buy these two great books to read about the past - I'll give any reporter under the age of 30 to quote at least one of them in a piece huge props!

7 Comments:

Blogger The One True b!X said...

I'll give any reporter under the age of 30 to quote at least one of them in a piece huge props!

Damn, five years too far gone.

Friday, July 15, 2005 6:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too and then some. I think I was here when all this shit happened.

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Phil's a hack, but the book -is- fun.

My father was all mobbed up, back East, and he used to tell me stories of "wide open" Portland in the 1950's -- a dirty mayor, dirty cops, drugs everywhere, loose babes and back room gambling -- Las Vegas in the rain as he called it.

I always thought my dad was making the stuff up, until I read the book. It was all true.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:47:00 AM  
Anonymous MarkDaMan said...

I can't stand Phil Stanford! I read his rants twice a week in the Tribune and can't understand why they keep him on. He doesn't add anything to the inside pages and his Francke conspiracy theories are a very boring read. If he wants to get to the bottom of the Francke murder, than make a story out of it and report it, but every new detail doesn't need to be reported twice weekly...give us a break and something worthwhile. I can't even imagine reading an entire book by him.

Monday, July 18, 2005 10:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the tag on pg2 of the Friday Trib, that Stanford was out sick, odd. Is that like "sinus infection" sick or "hospital stays and flowers" sick?

Monday, July 18, 2005 10:22:00 AM  
Anonymous splicer said...

markdaman: "I can't even imagine reading an entire book by him."

Well, I read Phil's book and it was a good, fast read! Fascinating, little-known history of Portland's seemier side. You should hold your nose, give it a read, and then check back with us.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:00:00 AM  
Anonymous splicer said...

For another great read full of history, tears and guffaws, may I suggest a book by a veteran of the Portland TV news wars? Paul Linnman neatly mixes highlights of his long career with touching human-interest stories and, of course, flying blubber in: "The Exploding Whale: And Other Remarkable Stories from the Evening News." Wonderful writing!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home