Monday, July 25, 2005

Two Giants

About a week ago I read about the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association and its Hall of Fame at the U of O School of Journalism and Communications.

I looked up their Hall of Fame and didn't see two names I know will get there sometime soon.

Bernie Foster is a giant in his community and ours. His Skanner newspaper(s) - did you know he also publishes in Seattle? - are much more important than the Oregonian and the Willamette Week and the TV and Radio stations combined to people of color. When he takes a side, you know he listened and thought about what he will say and write. He cares about Portland and he wants to make sure that our leaders consider his neighborhood and his neighbors, now and forever. I expect some day the ONPA will put him in their hall. He is a man of integrity and if you don't know about him in your newsroom, I suggest you pick up the phone and call him. He'd be happy to take that call and listen to your questions. You'd better be ready for his.

Clara Padilla Andrews came to Oregon in the 1990's and put El Hispanic News on the map. She used to be the Secretary of State in New Mexico, and she took her political smarts and an attitude of no fear to create a paper that means something to Oregonians who speak two languages. The paper is growing, both in circulation and in prestige and it rightly has become a place where opinion leaders need to communicate. She has a great loyal staff who believe they are doing something.

There are lots of people like this, but these are two we should put on a wall some day to remember what they brought to our craft.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for noting Bernie and Carla.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 1:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both are great people and journalists, but because they do not recognize ONPA, they will never be recognized.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger lisaloving said...

Honey bunny, it's CLARA. Clara Padilla Andrews.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 3:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah, I can't let the Bernie accolades just sit there. The Skanner's the least professional place I've ever worked, not only in that my stated salary in the interview turned out to be a "mistake" that needed to be corrected -- downward -- on my first day (this also happened to others, I learned later), but he told me to walk when I alerted him to the fact that payroll was systematically deleting hours of work from my paycheck.

Luckily, I had BOLI backing me up on the latter.

As to serving "his community" I fail to see how running giant 6-column car ads does anything to enlighten readers, even tho it does keep his garage full.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 5:12:00 PM  
Blogger PDXMediaWatcher said...

Thanks Lsia - uh Lisa. Damn dislexia. Appreciate the edits from everyone.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 8:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that what Clara and her husband Frank are doing is notable and important for the Hispanic community in Portland, but as always there are two sides to every story.

Perhaps a more delving "behind the scenes" into things such as Clara's tenure as SoS in New Mexico, or WHY she has such a "loyal" staff at El Hispanic News (perhaps it is family/extended family/close friends, along with certain financial 'motivators') would be worthy endeavors before canonizing an individual.

The reality doesn't always meet the public image. Clara has done an excellent job of marketing/PRing herself in the Portland community. I hate to see grandiose statements made without the full story behind the person being known.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the exact same experience with the Skanner as poster #4 did. This was a decade ago, and considering how horribly lax Oregon is in labor law enforcement, I'm not surprised they're still getting away with it.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 12:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Induct these people into the hall? Yeah, if ONPA is still around then ... the place is being run into the ground by incompetent management.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked briefly at the Skanner about five years ago -- until I discovered they were systematically deducting an hour from my paid time every day for "lunch" whether I received a break or not. I also didn't like the patronizing, condescending atmosphere of the place. It's a very insular family business and if you aren't a Foster, you're considered expendable no matter how good your work is. Yes, the Skanner has featured some good reporting, thoughtful editorials and a decent Op-Ed page. But it is not a satisfying place to work for people who pride themselves on their professionalism and integrity.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 2:47:00 PM  
Blogger Best Home Based Business said...

Cool blog. I dig your site outline and I plan on
returning again! I just love finding blogs like this
when I have the time.
Please come by and see my based business home idea successful blog.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home